Question 2 of the town halls have been:
What specific features are important to you in our electoral system? Local representation, proportionality, simplicity, legitimacy, inclusiveness, effectiveness?
It’s easy to say « all of them ». Here is question 2 broken down into sub questions that contrast the various options:
- Should the legislature have some proportionality or not? If not, are you aware the last time a majority government was elected by a majority of voters was in 1984?
- Should a local candidate obtain 50% or a plurality to represent a 1 seat riding?
- Regardless of your answer in question 1, do you prefer single (smaller riding) or multi seat ridings (more competition & choice)?
- How should list seats be made? Closed, open, flexible, best loosers?
- What proportion of seats should be allocated to list seats? Pick any number between 0 and 50%.
- To accomodate list seats, from 1 to 10, should we enlarge ridings (1) or + number of MPs (10)?